Monday, December 1, 2008

A Lesson on Cooperative Leraning

Working with my study group on the video presentation was a very real-life lesson on cooperative learning for me. In the beginning we all had to share our ideas and work together in deciding what exactly we wanted our presentation to be. This part went pretty smoothly as we all had good ideas and just had to decide which ones best introduced the book and were the most realistic for the time and resources we had. Making the video was difficult at times; finding times that the majority of the group could get together to plan and film. We also delegated different tasks throughout this process, such as Katie doing the Anita Woolfolk part and Brett writing the intro and conclusion, Hannah and Anna editing to name a few.
I have not done a group project in awhile and I forgot how much cooperation and working together they take. Everyone needs to do their part in order for the project to be done well. Through doing this project I was reminded that in my future classroom I will have to be aware of the dynamics of group work and make sure if I decide to have my students do group projects that everyone does their part and that cooperative learning works in the way that it's supposed to.

2 comments:

bdepperson said...

Group projects are great in cultivating interpersonal skills, but they can also be stressful and time-consuming!

Anna Kenyon said...

It's hard to tell how a group will work together. It brings up the question of whether or not group work is a positive learning experience.