Sunday, October 26, 2008

Bringing Ed Psych Concepts Home


Over fall break, I went home to see my family, which includes 4 young children (ages 2,3,5, and 6.) After only the first half of the semester of Educational Psychology, I found myself paying very close attention to their different behaviors and where they were developmentally. I also used different teaching strategies in interacting with/taking care of them.

For example, the 2-year old is in the midst of the autonomy versus shame developmental crisis. Most of the time, she mimics her 3-year old sister, doing, saying, and wanting to wear everything her big sister does. However, it was interesting to see when the 3-year old was at preschool, the 2-year old was a completely different person, making her own choices and saying whatever she was thinking. Another thing I noticed was her speech had improved dramatically since I last saw her in August. She used to talk with one word or short phrases, but now she is speaking in full sentences. It was so incredible to see this development in only a few months.


The 3-year old is in her first year of preschool. She is learning a lot about cooperating with others at school, which she has had a hard time doing in the past. As I stated earlier, she loves to be the leader of her younger sister, but she also likes to follower her older sister and brother too. She is very interested in dress-up clothes and playing make-believe. All of these observations tell me that that she is facing (and resolving) initiative versus guilt.


One day all 4 of them helped me make some muffins. It was very fun to implement some of the teaching strategies. I had the older kids get ingredients out of the cupboard and help me with measuring them out. Then when it came time to stir. I told them we would take turns, going in order of how they were seated around the table. I also found helpful (and fun too!) to sing songs through the whole process to keep the younger 2 kids interested when they weren't helping out. These strategies ended up working very well for everyone. This doesn't happen very often that all four kids enjoy each activity, so I was pleased. Overall this was very exciting visit, being able to see their different stages of development.

2 comments:

bdepperson said...

Haha- I've actually pondered a little myself on how I'll be subconsciously analyzing and applying concepts I've learned in Ed Psych when I have children of my own someday!

Anna Kenyon said...

Way to go HB! I love your siblings, and it seems like you were able to use your Ed. Psych. knowledge to create a fun activity. kudos to you!